--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, Robyn Hood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The older trainer walked over took the strap off the horse and
threw it on
> the ground, berating the younger trainer in Icelandic about what a
terrible
> thing that was to do with a horse.  I think that takes some guts
and is
> looking to be an advocate for the horse.

I can imagine that, I knew older people like that when I was young,
older cowboy types, who didn't believe in harsh bits, who stopped
people from yanking on horse's mouths, who believed in giving the
horse a chance. In my mind, the Iceland that we are connected to
here is very competition oriented, they are the ones in the
spotlight, that can make a big difference, the horse's welfare gets
pushed aside, winning and selling horses at any cost comes to the
forefront. I think there is a market for trail horses here though. I
only took Dari on a couple of rides in Daniel Boone National Forest,
I clearly remember a group of men admiring him and saying that he
thought his wife would ride a pony like Dari, probably a middle aged
woman, afraid of horses:) Dari is very good.

Kim