>>> -------------Wow, any idea on what caused them?  If they were on the
inside corners of his lip, does that mean that a dropped noseband could have
possibly caused it, or caused him more pain?

No idea.  He was "away" at training when the symptoms first started, so who
knows.  He was five at the time, and Ann said he came back "tolting" after
just a couple of months.  Considering that Tivar is basically built for
trot, that's pretty fast.  In fact, he still doesn't "tolt" at age 10, but
has started OFFERING Janice some foxtrot/foxwalk of his own accord.  Tivar
has a lovely, lovely jog too, one that I could ride all day on the trail.
If you ask me, he don't need no stinkin' tolt!  He's a great horse, just as
he is.

Off record, I've always grimaced when I've seen the tight nosebands and the
horses ridden with their bit rings pulled up to their eyeballs.  But can I
say with certainly that caused Tivar's mouth ulcers...?  No.  But, he did
"tolt" in a pretty short time....

I thank Ann for talking about him on the list a couple of years ago, which
brought him to my attention.  She could have swept it under the rug, like
the stories of many problem Icelandic's I hear about off the list, but she
came forward, asking for help.

Yes.  I got him in March 2006.  Janice went through the painful loss of her
rehab, Stali (near starvation then rabies) around the first of June.  I
ended up with healthy, smart Svertla who came from the same home that Stali
came from.  When Tivar started responding, it seemed natural that I let her
take him, because she's done so well with her other problem horses.  It was
a red-letter day when my friend, Shirley, said:. "If Janice likes to work
with a challenging horse, we'd better stop working with Tivar now."  He was
THAT improved after the ulcer treatment that he seemed like a new horse.
Don't get me wrong - he still has his memories, and Janice can tell you
that. She took him home in November, and the rest is history.  He has an
owner that adores him, for the wonderful horse that he is.    Tivar will
never forget...I just wish we knew his whole story.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:43 PM