>> and she was wearing the lightest possible over-reach boots
>> I could find (she's very pacey, and I didn't want her to hurt herself
>> if - when - she paced fast around the corners).
>
> What are over-reach boots?  Our Gat is very pacey, should she wear those?

The boots are not necessarily used because the horse is pacey, but because
of the conformation (legs that are not straight), or rider interference
(causing the horse to lean or they've come to use their bodies that way with
a rider), so that the legs interfere with one another.

Here's a little video showing the winging situation:

http://iceryder.net/wingin.html

You can video your own horse and see if the flight of his legs is straight
or wings in or out.

Judy
http://icehorses.net
http://clickryder.com