--- Judy Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > minerals and salt, grass hay, black oil sunflower seeds, beet
> pulp
> > and some alfalfa...or they are on pasture and get alf cubes and
> sun
> > seeds.
>

> Gotta watch the oats and alfalfa with Icelandics and any pony that
> is
> thrifty, as it can spark insulin resistance.
>

> Judy

On the Big island, our soil in very low in Calcium, magnesium and
Selinium.  People who do not supplement their horses here when young,
 well the horses gets what is referred to as 'big head' .  Really it
was the animals body of taking what caliciun they got and putting it
all into their head region.  So really it is the body that is
small...anyway, there are some regions of the island that have Great
pasture, luckily that is where our brood mares and babies
are......but here we do need to give some alfalfa or calcium in their
diet when on pasture, and all are at the moment.  Foss did not get
alfalfa, he got a mix of stuff and supplements...he did not do well
emotionally on alfalfa.....

My gelding Trausti does get about a third alfalfa, the rest is LMF
Low carb feed, he is prone to founder if we do not watch him closely.

Skye

      ~~~~Fire Island Farms~~~~
Breeding Quality Icelandic Trail Horses

             Certified Farrier Services
          'Natural Balance' Shoeing and Trimming.
         Founder, Navicular options for your horse.

                          808-640-6080