>>> Interesting that it's just about impossible to find any articles on the
use of a shanked, broken, Tom Thumb type bit (like the Icelandic bit) in
combination with a flash noseband. Probably because no authors can imagine
anyone stupid enough to do it!

I really think that's it, Mic.  I've never seen it before.  I haven't
exactly been thrilled with the direction competitive dressage has gone over
the last years, but they don't allow any shanked bit with a dropped
noseband, nor do they allow shanks as long as the ones on Icelandic bits.
And they don't allow any broken-mouthed curb bits.  I think the Icelandic
bit with a dropped noseband would be a triple no-no in dressage.  Most of
the time I've seen western folks use the Tom Thumb "snaffle"-curb type bits,
they use them without any nosebands.  And...don't I remember that
broken-mouthed curbs aren't allowed in many western show classes at all -
maybe not in any?