-

>> I rather think so too, particularly as FEIF wishes to be a member of
> FEI, with Icelandic horse sport eventually being an Olympic
> discipline. Trouble is, most other disciplines don't even bother to
> ban the use of bits similar to the Icelandic bit in conjunction with a
> flash noseband - I'm sure they don't believe anyone would use such a
> thing.
> Mic

Hi Mic,
In the US our governing body is USEF under the auspices of
FEI. The disciplines governed by USEF establish their rules in
accordance with USEF/FEI rules which can be found in the USEF Rule
Book. To date I have researched Dressage and Paso Fino regarding the
use of nosebands.The following information has been copied from the
Rule Book

Dressage:
PERMITTED NOSEBANDS
1.dropped noseband 2. cavesson noseband 3. flash noseband 4, mexican
(crossed fiqure-8) noseband
1, 3 and 4: These nosebands are not permitted when a double bridle is used
Double bridle with cavesson noseband,
bridoon bit and curb with curb chain
 At any level of competition, a cavesson
noseband may never be so tightly fixed that it causes severe
irritation to the skin

Paso Fino
Dropped nosebands, tie
downs, and martingales are prohibited.
Bits may be of any humane approved type in accordance with
Appendix A of the PFHA Rule Book. However, shanks cannot exceed six
(6) inches,
upper shank of bit from mouthpiece to where bit attaches to bridle
cannot exceed three
(3) inches, and all bits with shanks must have a curb strap or curb
chain attached and
used for leverage. The length of a shank shall be measured in a
straight line from the
mouthpiece to the end of the shank

I'm sure there are other disciplines that have similar rules just
haven't had time to research.
Kayla (icnewb but not new to horses)