or Norwegian.  This major poster on the site is happy to criticise a person
who she has not met, does not know, and has no idea about how he trains
horses or people.  So, as a competition rider,  after reading that post do I
think the rest of the information  here is going to be a value?  Once
again.... it's all in the presentation....

John, my posts here aren't always about CHANGING the way things are.
Sometimes they are about UNDERSTANDING the way things are, and that's a big
difference.  The posts simply can't be aimed to be equally effective to the
people on this list (who share common values for the most part) as they are
for people in other cultures, speaking other languages with whom our values
may be quite different.  Sure, changing the rules is a big goal when there
are abuses involved.  But, for a lot of us, it's a HUGE undertaking simply
to try to get a grasp on how values can be so different in different
countries...or in this case, with so many people who ride Icelandic's
competitively.  That Stian didn't thank Jarl was just one clue...but that
the other guy didn't dismount the horse to check the hoof until he was well
outside the arena, and then he smoked, and acted totally unconcerned?  And
that Eidfaxi didn't bother to name Jarl in that article, but only listed the
rider's name?   When I think about it, I've never felt so "outside" of any
horse culture as I feel "outside" the Icelandic horse culture.  I such a
HUGE divide from my world to theirs that I'm not sure it's worth trying to
change.  That sort of thing just doesn't happen in the USA, at least not
with people like us.  The horse always gets named and credited, or it does
most of the time.  It's about the horse, not about winning, so we're coming
at this from hugely different perspectives. If we are debating whether to
try to change things or to withdraw from this battle, don't you think that's
critical to see how much common ground we have?  Did you ever hear the old
poker player's saying - "you have to know when to hold them and know when to
fold them."   Sometimes, in certain circumstances, we can hold on and try to
change things, but other times we have to simply walk away and find a more
productive use of our time.  I don't know what's right here, but unraveling
the cultural differences may give us insight. Gosh, we've gotten so many
lectures in the past for not understanding the way things are done in
Iceland, or how things are done in Icelandic showing.  I think these are
huge clues of how dramatically different our values are.  We can change
rules MAYBE, but we can't change the values of other cultures...

I simply don't know how I might present that any differently.   It's just
what it is.  Honestly, I don't aim my posts to be read by competition
riders.  I think I'd be pretty arrogant to do that.

Sometimes it's not just in the presentation...sometimes it's in how it's
read.