On 26/09/2007, Virginia Tupper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So you have electric going out to the pasture?

Yes, with yard lights over each water/feed area.  Plus we're adding
extra lighting this fall (if we have time)...I hate coming home just a
little later from something, and having to feed in the half darkness.
The yard lights work well as general lighting, but I want more light
back by the bales.

> I was thinking of using solar for the electric fencing?

We've thought of that too.  Our son-in-law is working on developing a
very efficient wind energy turbine.  We're hoping to buy one when it
comes into production.

> Do your horses stay outside 24/7 all year?

All year, even during the blizzard we had, but they do have run-in
shelters, wind fence, and trees available.  We've found that they
rarely use the run-in shed except during the summer heat if they are
locked in that one particular paddock.  But they use the wind fence
constantly.  If you can keep the wind off them during the winter, they
should be fine.  If you notice the snow melting off their backs, it
means they are losing heat and need some attention.  Normally, we just
give them a little more hay and their internal furnaces kick in.

I've never had to worry about them, except a few times when there was
a heavy rain and then the temperature dropped after.  Both Peppy and
Kria were shivering and spent a  few hours in the barn to dry off.
They were fine after that.

Wanda