can probably categorize ourselves as either pre-dominantly left or right
brained.

Just within the USA Icelandic community, I see the left-brained versus
right-brained people aligning pretty strongly...or at least that's what I
think it is.  It's always annoyed me no end that so many people in this
breed seem to be pursuing the "whole Icelandic experience", totally going
off on the whole cultural experience...even when it appears to me that what
is best for the horses gets lost in the whole "experience" garbage.  To me,
a new horse owner first and foremost needs to be practical, and take care of
the logical necessities of horse ownership.   The "facts" of horse ownership
determines the horse's safety and well being.  But, once the basics are
taken care of, of course, there's a huge spot (even a need) for use to draw
on our intuitive, "feeling" sides in building relationships with our horses.

I suspect to this list I come across as uber-logical...but among the
engineering-types I work with, I'm pretty "arty" - depends on who you hang
out with, I suppose.  :)  Relating this to a journey towards becoming a
horseman, I think I've always had an easy time with the logical, factual
side of horsemanship, since the very beginning.   I think, however, it was
more of a struggle for me to open up and allow my intuitive side to surface
as well.  A couple of things happened to make me realize that logic alone
wasn't going to get it...one, there was no immediately "logical" explanation
for the back issues that Gracie suffered with for years, and two...soon
afterwards, I met Anneliese, and decided to breed a few horses.   I was at a
point where I was looking to move to the next step of horsemanship.
Anneliese told me so many things to watch for, how to let the horses "tell
me" things, and I think that broke the roadblock I had imposed on myself.
I think, pre-Anneliese, I had been stifling my intuitive side way too much,
so I met her at the right point in my journey - I think if I'd met her a few
years earlier, she wouldn't have had the same effect on me.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:10 AM