has been  how he could manage an entire herd (I think 30 or so) on open
pasture
and not have trouble managing weight.

I've never seen a herd of "free grazing" Icelandic's that didn't have some
serious weight problems in the mature horses...if you look closely enough.
In fact, it's hard to find a herd of restricted-grazing Icelandics where at
least a few have weight problems.  Sometimes the fur and manes hide a lot.
And of course, there are a few lines that just don't seem to have the
tendencies to obesity - Trausti and Eitill stay reasonably slim, and even
have to be supplemented sometimes when some others of ours are fat.

We've joked that about the only thing left to do for Sina is to stop worming
her...

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
6:01 AM