--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, "JR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jakey is a thirty year old.  I ride Jakey two or three times a week.
> The stable owner is in charge of his feeding.  She said that they are
> feeding him one scoop of beet pulp, one scoop of senior feed and one
> scoop of sweet feed.  I told her that this was way too much for him.
> He is only 13'2 and no more then 700 lbs.  She said that when they
> first got him they were feeding him even more.  He was brought in
very
> thin.  She also said that if we don't feed him enough his weight will
> crash.  I also have a Rhino medium weight on him.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  Any suppliments or different feeds?

You mentioned that he'd choked before. Is the beet pulp soaked? If the
barn owner is feeding him "1 scoop" is that about a pound+ of dry beet
pulp, or is that after it's been soaked? To my knowledge, beet pulp
*must* be soaked or it *can* cause choke. I fed my old 14.2 horse about
1 lb of beet pulp pellets; soaked, they made about a 3 gallon pail of
beet pulp. He also ate grass hay.
 I think you should talk w/ a vet about your horse's diet, and not what
the stable owner says. Your vet will know more about horse nutrition.

Robyn S