Susan, you are right on.  I alsways used to take my horses out alone in the
beginning.  You can always go back and add company, but it's hard to
subtract if your horse becomes dependent upon it.  In some ways, Hunter is
more fun out alone than he is with company.  We do both because as an
endurance horse, he has to keep his wits when he's in  a group of horses and
he has to be comfortable for those sweet times when we have the trail to
ourselves.

Our mentor, Bev Hoogendyk, take her youngsters (always 5 or older) out on
trail the minute they are safe to ride, sometimes as soon as a week or so
under saddle.   She does LOTS of ground work in advance, however.  She
thinks it gives them something to think about.  She'll go back to the arena
after they've learned to handle themselves on the trails.

Of course she is much braver than I am and probably braver than most of the
people on the list.  It really isn't a good idea to take a horse out and
away until you have some brakes and the ability to turn in both directions
at the very least.

Nancy