>>> that said, stjarni ground-ties and will just stand there whether i hold
him or not, and i don't think my instructor's ponies were trained to
ground-tie.

I don't think I've ever literally trained a single horse to ground-tie, but
they are usually engaged in the situation enough to stand quietly.  I can't
imagine using a less-than-100%-engaged horse for teaching beginners to
vault.

If you MUST hold a horse for mounting, let someone hold a lead line.  A lead
line has some "give" via its length, and won't trigger a panic reaction
nearly so easily...assuming the handler doesn't hold the line by the snap
with a death grip.  That's a standard joke Pat Parelli tells at the start of
each of his weekend tour stops.  The three "project" horses come into the
arena, led by their owners, who invariably are tense and nervous.   Almost
without fail, they have a white-knuckled grip on the snap of the lead line.
Then Pat, or one of his instructors, will take the horse, giving the horse
most of the 12' lead line, and the horse almost instantly relaxes.   Pat
then says something like, "We sell 12-foot lines, so feel free to use the
full length.  We don't sell buckles alone, but I guess we could start
stocking them."

Karen
Karen Thomas
Wingate, NC

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:11 PM

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses