> Why was the horse cross-tied for you to mount?  I might have missed
> something but I have to say I can't imagine having someone get on in that
> situation, even though she didn't pull back horses feel restrained on
> cross-ties or tied so don't have much choice.

that instructor cross-tied one of two of her ponies for one's intro
vaulting lessons.  i confess i don't know why; i really know very
little about vaulting.

that said, stjarni ground-ties and will just stand there whether i hold
him or not, and i don't think my instructor's ponies were trained to
ground-tie.  when i start a student vaulting, i ground-tie stjarni by
looping his lead rope or reins around one ear.  (i do teach what little
i know; as i think i said earlier i believe it's helped me land on my feet
a few times and i'd like to pass that along.)

--vicka