> snaffle, a caveson, and a loose rein, stressing control of the horse
> with the rider's balance alone.  at my lesson with ebba yesterday,
she
> insisted that i need to move my arms more to allow stjarni to canter
> with more freedom for his head, and to press on his withers and use
> completely loose rein to encourage him to stretch down and maintain
his
> trot.

Hello Vicka,
I take regular lessons from Svanny who is Icelandic. She is very much
into training for a willing horse. I agree with your proposition that
we need to judge instructors on an individual basis.  Svanny is
against using weighted shoes and/or harsher bits for any sort of gait
correction.  Blessi has never been so light in the hand and
responsive.
Regards, Pamela