> When being bridled Gat will move her head and open willingly for the
> bit, so she's accepting it at that point.  Occasionally when being
> ridden she will open her mouth.  Can a horse accept and not accept the
> bit at the same time?

Yes, I think so.  It's good that she opens willingly for the bit.  And it's
good that she mostly keeps her mouth closed on the bit.

I think it would be a good experiment to study when she opens her mouth;
what is happening, is it a gait change, more contact on the bit, turning
corners, etc.

That should tell you things that may help her to not open her mouth (maybe a
bit change is in order, maybe different cues, lighter hands, etc.).

Judy
http://icehorses.net
http://clickryder.com