On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 06:04:16PM -0800, Judy Ryder wrote:
> Do they use icelandic saddles?  That's a mechanical
> aid which forces the horse into ventroflexion because
> of the tightness (narrowness) of the saddle, and
> sometimes the length with the extended panels that dig
> into the loins.

erm.  stjarni moves about the same in his extra-wide hrimnir,
his treeless sensation(s), and bareback.  i do not think the
saddle forces him to ventroflexion.

> A little bit of whip keeps the horse tense enough to
> gait sometimes

....i deleted the above section on "it's not dressage", but
of course dressage makes great use of the whip both in mounted
and ground work.  i use mine as a fly brush and as an aid to
reach parts of the pony i can't touch with my hands or legs.
i don't think he's terribly tense about it; he licks and lips
the whip if i stand around with it near his mouth.

> Look for the saddles, heavy contact, whether the horse
> gaits on a loose rein, what gait the horse is doing,
> if the shoes are regular normal keg shoes or heavier
> shoes and / or different types or size and weight
> shoes between front and back feet (and ask why the
> horse is shod if used in an arena or on less than
> extremely rocky terrain).

stjarni's still barefoot, but i am reconsidering this as our
terrain is getting less and less passable.  he has seemed to
mostly adjust to the rocks, but he's sliding rather on the ice
and i'm not going to ride him like that :/

--vicka