> I think the USIHC is way out of touch with the majority of Icelandic Horse
> owners.  Look at how large and active our list is, yet none of them are
> involved but only in their small group.

well remember what people have been saying for a while...  that baby
boomers, demographically the largest part of the US population now and
has been for a while and will be til we start croaking I think--  are
outdoorsy and earthy and horsey, old hippies who want to get back to
the land, raise chickens, and very very horsey.  Horse people have
just grown exponetially in the last ten years.  and aging people who
ride, like to ride gaited horses.  its easier on old bones.  so it
follows that there has been a boom in horseyness and in gaited horse
ownership.  so even pat parelli says stuff like how the old cowboy way
doesnt work anymore because the majority of horse owners right now are
not cowboys they are women, most of them mothers, the same young
hippie mothers who were looking at different ways of child rearing
that didnt involve a switch or paddle, mothers who started trying to
understand what made kids tick instead of smacking them when they
screamed.

so it would behoove anyone who wants to make money off horses (thats
not always a bad thing) to bear in mind that most of us out here are
not only never gonna look great in tights again, (not that we CARE
really haha) but that we also want a RELATIONSHIP with our horses.  we
want horses who like us and feel affection and trust to ride in
beautiful woods in different ways, some fast and furious and fun and
some laid back and lazy and fun and sometimes both.  some of us like
to show but wonder why we have to physically hurt and make our horses
bleed to do so.  Some of us enjoy the challenge of training as much as
riding.  Some of us are physically unable to ride.  BUt still we want
horses.  I read an article years ago about one of the men who founded
Mad Magazine.  Him and his wife loved horses and always wanted them
and bought a big ranch and horses and were thrown and got hurt and
after a while realized they really didnt like the riding part of
horsemanship at all.  They just loved horses and enjoyed them from the
ground so they started taking in rescues etc and really enjoyed their
horses.

This is my soapbox for the day I guess :)  and i feel like most of the
conflict in the horse world, any breed, stems from people wanting to
hold on to the old harsh ways and scoff at the new caring, natural
way, and vice versa.  a lot of conflict.  But things always follow the
money.  Thats just the way it is.  So I feel sure the old way will
fall away in time.

also, i know it sounds egocentric, but i swear these horse magazine
people are lurking.  I have never in my life heard of botulism in hay
until it was on the list recently, and now a magazine article.  I see
lots of that happening now.  And that makes me realize horse magazines
are no longer bringing us the news, we are bringing it to them, and
all they are now anyway is an ad publication to make money, they arent
in anyway into this to do any sort of service and probably dont give
one rats a** if they print something that is absolutely ridiculous to
most of us.  i know I can get a lot more good from random creative
junk on youtube about horses than horse illustrated.  Now thats an eye
opener.  Horse illus was once a mighty publication.  Now they are
almost no substance sandwiched between lots and lots of ads, and what
substance there is is garbage.  think about it.  Yes, things are
really changing so quick its hard for publishers to keep up.  we left
them in dust a few years ago...

like karen said, at least they had a series of parelli articles.  then
when thats done they will have lots of garbage and ads and a series of
articles on some other popular guru.  very sad thats all thats keeping
them going now.
janice
yipie tie yie yo