gaited horses went out of style with aristocracy and there followed the
rest of the European world.  I'm certainly not a great historian so that
could be totally wrong

Well, Laree, you can I may not be historians, but Lee Ziegler was, at
least related to gaits. I found some of the things I remembered on the
first two pages of her book, Easy-Gaited Horses.

Here's one quote: "During the Middle Ages, when European roads were
virtually impassable, easy-gaited horses were the prized possessions of
the wealthy and were frequently mentioned in their last wills and
testaments at ten times the worth of non-gaited horses."

She goes on to say: "As the Americans were colonized, easy-gaited horses
found a new role providing comfortable transportation through the
wilderness of the developing colonies.  Although they gradually
disappeared from Europe during the 1600's, replaced by trotting carriage
horses, carthorses and racehorses, easy-gaited horses were still
appreciated in remote areas of Asia and Africa, as well as in the rural
areas of the Americas.   Whenever and wherever humans relied on riding
horses rather than driving horses for transportation, the easy-gaited
horse was present and valued."

In other words, gaited horses survived in Iceland, the southeastern
parts of the USA, Peru, Puerto Rico and in certain parts of Africa and
Asia for the same reason - because they are ideal riding horses.