>The problem is that to the rest of the world, that type of riding
>paints us all with the same brush...the whole breed becomes tainted.

I know, and that is SUCH a shame. It's noticeable over here that when
we do displays at non-horsey events (like village fetes, Viking
re-enactments etc) we seem to get more interest than when we do stuff
at horse shows. I think that's for two reasons - first, they are
little hairy ponies ridden by adults, so many horse people don't take
them seriously, and second, they are often not ridden that well, in
drop nosebands/shanked bits etc, so genuine horsemen dismiss them as
either wild and uncontrolable, or dismiss the riders as useless (!).
Not saying that's always the case, and not at all displays, but it IS
a danger.
>
>I have absolutely no doubt that it will come to a screeching halt
>someday, much like what just happened in the TW world.

I hope it's soon.
>
>I'm told that FEIF is working hard at solving the rough riding issue.

Hmmm. Well, FEIF is making all the right noises, but does not actually
seem to either recognise OR penalize rough riding and bad
horsemanship.

Maybe too many
>conflict of interest issues between judges and riders or horses???  I
>don't know, I'm just guessing.

I don't *think* it's that, more a lack of education of judges
generally, judges coming to expect the "usual" (for today) standard of
riding, and those judges who DO recognise it and mark it down not
being asked back to judge as no-one likes getting low marks (plus, of
course, at shows with 5 judges the highest and lowest marks are
dropped so low marks given for poor riding may not make a difference
to the final mark anyway).
>
>Which is why judges should never have any personal gain in the outcome
>of any competition.  I'm not saying that's happening, I'm just trying
>to determine reasons for this issue taking so long to solve.
>
They rarely do, I believe.

Mic


Mic (Michelle) Rushen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs: 
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Reply via email to