> 
> I cannot for the life of me imagine how I'd felt as a small child 
if someone 
> had tried to teach me stuff by ignoring all my attempts to learn 
and do 
> things, and only answering "yes" when I guess the exact answer 
the "teacher" 
> had in mind.   Seems like that would be terribly frustrating - and 
slow - to 
> a normal, curious child ... or parrot.  I think I would have felt 
very 
> shut-out when I was "wrong" too, not very "nurtured."
> 
What your talking about is traditional methods. Clicker training does 
not ignore attempts to learn..it rewards the try and offered 
behaviours. Its all about positive re-enforcement. 
Ask the children or watch a Tag Teach programme. They love it because 
they feel involved rather than manipulated and can see the progress 
they are making. They will even tag each other. There is an excellent 
example of teaching the high jump back flip on one of the puppy 
training videos by Karen Prior. The elements are broken down into 
baby steps then chained. The leg lift for take off, leg lift after a 
run up, arching the back and landing on shoulders. The skill was 
taught very quickly and everyone was having fun. I have been a sport 
coach and teacher none of my students felt shut out or frustrated. 
The confusion arises when people think that the click is a way to 
manipulate. All it does is say 'Yes' in reply to the question 'Is 
this right?'. It is never done without the child or adult 
understanding that concept and the skill is demonstrated where 
possible. 
My parrot goes to his perch and asks for the clicker. My horses love 
training with or without the clicker now. There are sound reasons as 
it activates the 'natural reward pathway' which is responsible for 
driving feelings of motivation, reward and behaviour. It creates 
relationship based on attention respect and trust working both ways.
Best of all it creates good feelings about learning and being with 
people.
I can understand your confusion. Sometimes it's really hard to see 
past traditional methods and trust something new.

Sue 




Reply via email to