>>>  If I were an Icelandic breeder and someone came to me and asked to buy
>>> an Icelandic as an endurance prospect, I would probably suggest they go
>>> shop for an Arab.  If they could convince me they wanted an Icelandic
>>> for all the wonderful qualities the breed exhibits and  would still want
>>> to ride the
 horse on tral if he couldn't cut it at distance sports, then I would look
for the following qualities:

Thank you, Nancy.  That's exactly the kind of specific answer I was looking
for, and all those points make sense to me.  The stats you submitted from
the AERC site certainly support what you said.

>>>  If we choose a gaited breed for endurance, we might have to work a
>>> little harder to be competitive with Arabs.  It has been a big help to
>>> Hunter that
 he conditions with Arabs all the time.  Sometimes he's doing the same
condition as a horse that is finishing 75's. This makes him a nicely
competitive LD horse.

Thanks again.