On Feb 7, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Karen Thomas wrote:

> I don't care to put my horses through situations where they are
> "annoyingly
> pissy" just to compete in sports that *I* want to do.

Rosa was extremely hormonal, always in heat, and didn't like to have
people starting at her -- as in judges in NATRC.  She *really* hated
the show ring with the spectators.

But she liked the trail (as long as she wasn't being stared at) and
never needed to be touched by my heels or a quirt (and never was).  I'd
just make a kissy sound and she would go down the trail, ears forward,
until I said whoa.  In Peruvian lingo she had brio (willingness to
work) -- other breeds call it heart.

Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/