Hello Judy, Renee gave you some good advice.  Ride where you're safe.

When you have your saddle issues settled, take some lessons on him,
and get some communication going before you take him out on the trail.

I had the same type of issues with my old Hreggur.  He managed to bolt
on me.  But he had a lot of health/pain issues that needed to be
solved before he settled.  Then I began taking lessons on him and he
really really improved.  We really began to understand each other.

(I bet it's a saddle fit issue though)  What type of saddle are you
using on him now?

Wanda