On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:04:45 -0800, you wrote:

>Do you find that the three-gaited Icelandics have as much problem with a nice
>slow canter?

By three gaited I assume you mean without any lateral gaits? ; )

I've been lucky enough to never yet have met an Icelandic with truly
NO lateral ability (though I've met a fair few with no trot at all).
The ones who have less lateral abiltity have usually had a more
correct (as in 3-beat with suspension) canter. Mostly, I've found the
nice slow canter comes with training and balance (or re-training in
the case of horses who have been taught to rush).

My (! ; )) Skessa finds a slow canter really hard. She has a lot of
pace in her, and to get a 3-beat canter she needs to go quite fast or
she falls into pace.

Mic

Mic (Michelle) Rushen

Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs:
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"