On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:33:14 -0800, you wrote:

>Now,
>my fox trotters tend to wear their rear shoes faster than front
>because of the sliding action of the rear feat.

That's one problem with Skessa - she wears her back feet really,
really quickly. I think if you rode her without back shoes on our
roads, she would have no feet left at all after a couple of hours. She
has quite a long back and I think her conformation probably
contributes to the problem - it makes no difference if she's ridden
long and low, or collected, nor what gait you ride in. The vet has
checked her back/hips/etc and she's fine physically.

It's interesting watching her foot patterns when you ride her on hard
sand - she does a little "dab" and slide with the back foot before
setting it down. The toe is worn square very quickly.

When I get her up here permanently, I'm not sure how to handle it.
Borium welds on the toes would be an option, but I don't want that
much torque as she obviously "needs" the slide. On the other hand, she
will wear boots out in 5 minutes, and going barefoot is not an option
for the same reason. However, if she's shod she will need re-shoeing
(on her hinds - her fronts are normal) every three weeks or so which
is not good for her feet, and bloody expensive too.

Suggestions?

Mic

Mic (Michelle) Rushen

Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs:
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"