what scares me about mountain riding... I guess you are always scared
of things you've not done yet...  I have lived in Sacramento and hiked
a lot in the sierras and I have hiked a lot in the apalachians but
never ridden a horse out west and only briefly in the smokies.  What
scares me is the sensation that the horse will slip on rocks and go
down, wet slick rocks, and in the appalachians the rock can be shale,
flat and VERY VERY sharp like a razor as you cross a stream!  here we
have limestone and when it is wet it is never slick.  It is rough and
pockmarked and easy to maintain footing on.
janice--
even good horses have bad days sometimes.