The absolute best camping we ever did was without horses.  In the period of
years between the time our first five fledged the nest and the time we
re-filled it with four more kids, Bruce and I camped with a canoe and two
tiny dogs.  One week we piled our all our gear in the canoe and canoed up a
lake where we made camp up on a rock outcropping overlooking a little cove.
For an entire week we didn't see another human.  It was an incredible
experience.  When the weekend came, we were  a little miffed when we saw a
guy in a kayak coming around a corner into our bay.  We also canoed 15 miles
up a high desert reservoir and in the ocean to a boat-in camp up in
Washington's San Juan Islands.

Nancy