weight on the loins (or shifting the saddle back) will get the horse to get
under itself and generally will cause it to gait, if it has any tendency at
all.

Maybe I’m taking you too literally, but PLEASE, no weight on the loins –
EVER.  I won’t argue about slightly altering your weight by shifting your
torso SLIGHTLY back, but the horse’s loins are not made to support weight.
Getting gait is not worth hurting the horse!   It’s not required, so why do
it?

along side a horse that IS gaiting, on a hard surface or next to a wall so
the gaiting horse's footfalls can be heard.

Again, I cringe!  You may literally mean for a few strides, and I won’t
quibble about the harm from that.  But, I think most times,
training/refining/encouraging gait should be measured in weeks, months, even
YEARS, and hard surfaces are very stressful on the hoofs and joints.  I
never go there, and I discourage others – a FEW people may be able to
moderate and know when to say when, but it’s not worth living that close to
the edge of good horsemanship to me.  And if the horse is one predisposed to
bone spavin, the risk may be still more dire!  If the horse has natural gait
in him, we can find and nourish it in other, less-risky ways.

Checked by AVG.
1:27 PM

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses