>>> Another mare from the same breeder  weaves even in pasture, stops eating
>>> at the drop or a hat and cribs.  Two others are similar.  They are the
>>> weirdest wild-eyed horses I have ever seen, but they all had the same
>>> rough handling.

There have been several times when I've heard such-and-such Icelandic
stallion blamed for having difficult (or whatever) offspring.  But, when I'd
stop to think about it, the offspring were also often started and trained by
the same person, or at least in the same forceful way.   In the cases I'm
thinking about, I'd bet on the rough training being the culprit, not the
genetics.   I'm fairly confident about one particular stallion - I own
several of his babies and grandbabies.  The ones started gently are ideal
horses, very easy.  I'm not saying that genetics has no effect, just that
it's often easier for people to blame the genes than face the fact that they
made mistakes in selecting a trainer...

I think rough handling stays with a horse forever.  They may forgive, but
they won't forget.