>You've had some really neat training opportunities and experiences with so
>many different animals in your life, haven't you?!?.    Man -- killer
>whales. . . I'm so envious!  I can't imagine communing with such
>intelligent, magnificent creatures and getting to work with them one-on-one.

When we got a new, young whale at Marine World, I was in the Veterinary Dept.
at the time and they didn't want anyone to immediately start training. They
just wanted her to settle in, adapt to her new whale friend, learn to be
hand-fed fish, etc. so for several months my job was to hang-out with Vigga,
feed her, and float around in the water with her! Tough huh?! (Her name
supposedly means "little girl" in Icelandic and we actually had someone from
the Icelandic consulate come out for a christening).

I think the variable reinforcement is the most helpful with animals that are
performing and doing numerous repetitions per day.
I totally agree with you Renee, I always reward for standing still while
mounting, often for good gait, and an immediate whoa from a seat or verbal cue.

Cherie
Western North Carolina
Lilja, Roka (Icelandics)and Tyra (Fjord)

Checked by AVG.