>>> I think that it depends who you talk to and the way it is done.  Diana
>>> Sept and Peggy Cummings have the experience that horses do not have to
>>> be, nor
 should be, ventroflexed to gait.

Ventroflexion and collection both occur in varying degrees.  Most of us
realize (I hope) that trot collects in degrees from "collected trot" to
passage to levade - and I doubt many of us have experienced even a truly
"collected trot", certainly not many times.  A horse doesn't have to be a
star-gazing ewe-necked individual to be ventroflexed either.  I hope NONE of
us put our horses through that  - I don't believe that we do.  That doesn't
mean that they don't have some degree of ventroflexion when they do lateral
gaits.