Hi Lynn
>>At least  with Peruvians, what is highly desirable when gaiting -- ie.,
enough reach with the back legs such it is stepping under the saddle
area and is capping or, even better, overstepping by up to 12 inches
the front hoof prints, really doesn't happen if the horse is
ventroflexed, any more than a human can stride out with pronounced
lumbar lordosis.

In fact that is actually the opposite of collection, if you think about
piaffe - the hocks are very articulated (bending) and the hind legs stay
right underneath the hindquarters to support the weight on the hindquarters.
I see lots of gaited horses with a lot of overreach and while I would not
say that their backs are necessarily ventroflexed in a stationary way, I
think that the backs of gaited horses go more like down and then up to level
but not 'up' and then down to level as in non-gaited horses.  There is more
downward flexibility, than upward, in nearly all the gaited horses I have
met.

>>>Sec. 1. Advance and Overstep Advance refers to a long fluid stride
which easily covers ground. Overstep denotes the reach of the hind legs
which should reach well under the horse with very little hock action
either up or sideways. The preferred reach of the hind legs is between
"capping" and 12" of overstep. Understepping will be penalized
Advance should not be accomplished at the expense of elegance and/or
leg action.

This definition says it all - stepping under should not have hock action
which means they are not looking for collection.... and maybe you are not
looking at it in that way anyway and I have just misunderstood..

Robyn