I finally got around to taking a lesson on Andi today
from my instructor/neighbor/friend who is an eventer.
It made me realize that I ride Andi too quiet.  He
needs a lot of desensitization!  I have been way too
quiet, and Sharon rode him like a drunk untill he was
OK with it.  She also started him whoaing when you get
off balance.  He caught on to that real quickly.  What
really surprised me was the movements from me watching
that set him  to "schooching".  At least I have
something to really work on.  She had me practise
"emergency" dismounts from both sides once it was my
turn to get on.  Hopefully, that will prevent me from
doing what I did the day I hyperextended my foot.
That incident was 4 weeks ago this past Sunday, and
I'm still limping from it.  Of course, Andi is close
enough to the ground, that I can routinely do the
"emergency" dismount, even at a standstill, and I
don't have to drop to the ground that far.  My usual
way of dismounting (drop my right stirrup, swing my
right leg over, THEN drop my left stirrup and slide
down) takes a bit longer and has too many steps if the
horse moves.  Plus, the "emergency" dismount will help
desensitize Andi to me "dropping" quickly and suddenly
to the ground.  I got some videos of Sharon on Andi, I
will have to download them and put them together later.

Susan in NV
  http://desertduty.blogspot.com/
  Riding for Breast Cancer Awareness
  Nevermore Ranch http://users.oasisol.com/nevermore/

OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends:Get A Month of Blockbuster Total
Access, No Cost. W00t