>>> Personally I would never use bales that were from roadside grass.

I don't know what you mean...?  What is roadside grass and why is it more
prone to dead critters?  Do you Canadians literally bale your highway right
of way grass?  I've never seen that done in the USA...

>>> We're lucky that the guy that does our bales knows what he's doing and
>>> we generally have very little mould.  We had more trouble with mould in
>>> our square bales and it was actually our square bales where we found the
>>> odd dead snake now and then.

But most people simply put the round bales in the pasture, and don't go
through it.  I think the odds of your finding a problem with round bales is
slimmer, whereas most people see every flake they feed from a square bale,
including mold and other "bonuses".