>>> Round Bales and botulism from the U of TN
>>> http://animalscience.ag.utk.edu/horses/pdf/Botulism_1-21-03.pdf

Botulism is one risk, but probably the more common risk is plain old colic.
Horses work through some cases of colic on their own with no medical
intervention, but sometimes it's fatal or requires expensive and risky surgery.
I'd bet the number of non-fatal colic cases is much higher than the less common
botulism poisoning.  While the odds of a full recovery after a colic bout are
fairly high, even "plain old colic" isn't something I want my horses having.