> I guess what I'm saying is pay attention to all the changes that your
> new horse is going thru and don't label them with negative attributes

We use our irrigated farm land here for cutting hay instead of pasturing the
horses , so horses and ponies here are on dry lot - four acres of it, but
still dry lot.  Last summer I decided to move Twist, who has had multiple
owners, about a mile up the road to Creekside, where he would have green
grass, beautiful white fencing and pastoral views.  He was so depressed that
he practically "checked out", even though I was there every day.  At the end
of summer, we moved him home and he was a different horse.  His eyes was
bright.  His step was quick (well, quicker) and he practically smiled.
Obviously I didn't know what would make Twist a happy horse.  He could do
without grazing and pretty scenery if he could just feel like he finally had
a permanent home.  He will not be leaving again.

Nancy