>Yes, he's barefoot with a roll in the front to help the breakover. The
>farrier said he would trim him for his comfort. We talked about the
Pete
>Ramey trim and he said it was what he was dong.

>I tried the wedge egg-bar (?) shoes a couple of years ago and it didn't
>make any difference. He did not have shoes on before that either.

>You only know there's a problem if you are trail riding and hit gravel
or
>hard surfaces Shoes never cure navicular. When you change to a
different >shoe or put a wedge of pad in it masks the pain for awhile
and then with >poor hoof mechanism the problem progresses and eventually
more damage is >done.

A lot of movement helps. Hopefully, his heels are not too long and back
where they're supposed to be and the toes are fairly short and he is
walking with a heel first landing.

Some horses that have a proper trim and still have yucky looking frogs
and grungy stuff in the collateral groove on the side of the frog have
had wonderful success with a few White Lightening soaks.  It kills the
bacteria and/or fungus in there and then allows the barefoot trim to do
its job.

Many horses are fine on pasture but ouchy on harder ground, because
they're hooves adapt to the environment in which they live. Many of use
who keep our horses barefoot, make sure to have an area of pea gravel or
make some harder trails in their pastures that they walk over daily.  It
preps their feet for similar surface riding.

If you don’t want to do that, what's wrong with wearing boots for the
ride?
Does he go sound with boots on?

Cherie

Checked by AVG.
4/14/2008 9:26 AM

------------------------------------

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses