That sounds like what we're doing with 28-year-old Thunder now.  He's always
been a moderately easy keeper, out 24x7 with the herd, but no more.  His
normal pasture is adjacent to my grassy riding ring, so every night we put
him in the ring, where he can take his own sweet time eating his senior
feed, and can eat all the lush grass he can hold overnight.  During the day,
he's back out with his senior buddies, Joe and Holly.  There's grass in
their pasture too, plus some supplemental hay, but he seems to be doing
better with the extra grass and plenty of relaxed time.  He's still on the
thin side compared to where he used to be, but not the bone-rack he was a
few weeks ago.

BTW, I suspect that Thunder has Cushing's now - I think most older horses
eventually get it - but I still have him on lush grass.   I know that's
counter to the going wisdom, but this worked well with Sundance in his final
couple of years, and he never re-foundered.  I think there's a point with
Cushing's where the tendency to lose weight outdoes the risk for laminitis.
I think Thunder has passed that point now - I have to keep weight on him
somehow.  I hope he doesn't founder, but frankly, at this point, it's a risk
I'm willing to take.  I hate for him to waste away like he was doing, and if
he should founder, I'll put him down, and know he went out happy until the
end.  I'm not recommending this to everyone, but I have a strong gut feeling
this is the right thing to do for Thunder.  I want him as happy and healthy
as possible during his final days.

Karen Thomas, NC

------------------------------------

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses