That may well be true for Twist, Nancy, but did you know that many
off-the-track SB pacers aren't particularly pacey?    My friend and trainer,
Shirley, has started several ex-pace-racers on their way to re-homed, and
not a single one she started was pacey.  I remember that one actually
preferred trot - maybe with a little weak foxtrot - one was a LOVELY
run-walker and one was a saddle-racker.  (I still keep up with that
run-walker, who now belongs to friends of ours.)  I believe that all could
trot, at least that I remember.   She did this work about the time I got
Icelandic's so I went and helped her some, and watched a lot, and rode a few
of them.  It absolutely amazed me that there was so little pace in the small
sample she worked with.  The trotter went to a home where he was used for
low-level dressage, believe it or not, even though he'd paced as a racer.
I've heard Christine Schwartz say that she things the range of gaitedness in
Standardbreds may be most like the range found in Icelandic's - I think she
rode some SB in Germany as a girl.  I don't have lots of SB experience, but
based on the little I saw, I sure wouldn't argue.

It's just more evidence of how much mechanical means can affect gait.  The
SB's racers are hoppled (hobbled?) such that they HAVE to pace.

I'm pretty sure the horses she got to train were just a random sampling of
Standardbred pace horses - she certainly doesn't profess to the a "gaited
horse trainer" - just a good, sensible trainer.  I suspect that your Twist
is just one of the naturally pacey ones - there's a variety of gaitedness in
any breed, so that's probably just what the DNA dice rolled for him.