> My understanding is that many (maybe most?) of the original members of the
> Racking Horse "breed" were Standardbreds.  I think they had (have?) an open
> stud book, and basically a horse that shows rack can be registered, so there
> is a mix of breeds in the registry now.  Now, that said, I'm sure Janice has
> the lowdown on this and will tell us all the incorrect assumptions I just
> made.... :)

well i could be wrong but it is my understanding that the RHBAA began
over people owning walking horses that racked were not allowed to show
them, or if they did, certainly didnt place.  of course they made all
this self righteous noise about how they wanted to separate themselves
from soring, but they are as bad or worse than biglick walkers so
thats not turned out to be true.  RHBAA is a gait registry.A
commissioner can watch your horse gait and if it racks, its able to be
registered.  There is an RHBAA registered icelandic, Blakkur is his
name, he was NWHA speed racker WGC one year, many standardreds etc.
That being said, what you posted is true Karen, standardbreds were in
the foundation of the walking horse and so were narragansett pacers,
which are extinct, and the walker is the foundation of the official
racking "breed".  The foundation walking horse was Allan F1, and he
was standardbred and narragansett pacer all mixed up in there, and he
did a wonderful incredibly smooth gait, a running walk, which he
seemed to be homozygous for as a stud, all his offspring did it, and
thus began the TWHBEA breed.  They allowed outside horses in for a
long time, and thats how spots got in.  So now purists say if your
pinto walker does not trace back to a mare named "dusty sally" then it
is sort of a mongrel that came in when the books were open :)  They
did breed for gait tho.  They wanted to keep producing what Alan F1
had.  He was very homely btw.  The old black and white photos of him
in existence show him having an eerily similar to my Jaspar old
foundation walker head, and he was plain black.  Robert E Lee rode a
standardbred, Traveller, and after the war, rode him home all the way
from war and then went to work at washington and Mary college where
him and Traveller are buried today.  he rode him 20 miles each way to
and from work for many years.  Many say he was a walker but he wasn't,
he was a standardbred and General Lee said "he has one smooth fast
gait that is very pleasant but you have to find it and until you do,
he is a very rough ride".  He had hair rubbed off him all the time
from the crowds that would line the road when he passed just to reach
out and touch him.  I have a horse named Traveller that is also grey,
and if I ever had a mare I would name her Lucy Long, Lee's other
horse's name.  that is my standardbred history lesson for the day.
Janice

--
even good horses have bad days sometimes.