I have no doubt that, of the first three foals born here in 2004, we would 
have lost Miska had Brunka not decided to break her water right in front of 
us when we did the 11pm check-in.  Brunka had some trouble passing her 
shoulders, and she became shocky.  We were in attendance, and when we saw 
that the filly's tongue was blue and she wasn't moving, we knew we had 
trouble.  Brunka was down too - conscious, but not alert.  She was simply 
worn out, and as a first time mom, I don't think her instincts were kicking 
in fully.  I got a quick call into the vet, she said to pull with the next 
contraction, and while I talked to her, Cary pulled.  I immediately cut the 
sac over her face, and she instantly struggled to breathe.  Within a few 
minutes she was up...but Brunka stayed down flat for about 45 minutes.  I 
called the vet back and she told us to give Brunka Banamine.  About 20 
minutes later, Brunka got up, but she seemed rather disoriented for a 
while - not aggressive, but confused.   Maybe she wasn't aware enough while 
the birth was happening.  Anyway, that was a LONG night, while I hoped and 
prayed that Brunka would get it togethter enough to nurse the filly. 
Finally about 5am she nursed, and the next day, the immunity test was good, 
despite the 6-hour delay in nursing.  Brunka was well enough to go with the 
filly to pasture the next day, and from then on, she was a good mom - 
eventually becoming one of the best.  She'd let any of the three foals 
nurse - we called that year, the "first available" year, since the foals 
would nurse whichever mom was closest.  (Well, except Bjola - she'd only 
nurse her own, Ima.)

Would I breed Brunka again?   Maybe, but only if I could be DARNED sure I 
was with her during delivery - and notice that I haven't bred her again. 
The vets have told me that it's probably no riskier to breed her again than 
any other mare.  That was her first baby, and subsequent deliveries are 
typically easier, and I KNOW her mama instincts are in place now, and they 
weren't then.  But when there are so many other great broodmares available, 
and when Brunka is such a nicely gaited riding horse, I'm not really 
motivated to risk it, even if it's a pretty low risk.  Now that I've gelded 
Melnir and the only stallion in my immediate area is Brunka's half-brother, 
I don't have to worry about it.  Not now.

Two years ago, I told this story on another list as an example of why it's 
important to be with the mares when they foal - when there's trouble, it 
often comes on VERY fast.  The woman who said that owners shouldn't check on 
their mares more often that every 8 hours actually had the gall to mention 
"natural selection" - implying that I should have let Brunka and the filly 
die.  Sorry, but while I'm very careful to breed responsibly, I don't plan 
to let one of my mares and foals die a painful death under the guise of 
natural selection.  Besides, there are other ways to protect the future of 
the breed - I simply don't have to breed any questionable mares again.  AND, 
many difficult deliveries are the result of complications of that particular 
pregnancy - and that's probably what Brunka's case was.   Sometimes a foal 
presents in the wrong position, and that can happen in a mare's 5th 
pregnancy or during her first - should we let her die due to a mere 
circumstance of the individual preganany?  Not in my universe.

When I looked out the camper window about 1am the morning that Hroi was 
born, and I saw Maja staring into my window - something I'd never seen her 
do before - I KNEW she wanted us to come out and be with her.  I got up 
asked Cary if he wanted to come out with me.  We grabbed chairs, and sat 
quietly beside her paddock.  Within a few minutes, her water broke and she 
went down to deliver, knowing we were there.  Maybe every mare wouldn't do 
this, but Maja had no inhibitions about delivering with us there two years 
ago, when she delivered Kola.  Four years ago, the day Ima was born, every 
time I'd go check on Bjola, she'd get between me and the gate, blocking my 
exit.  She wanted me with her too, and I was present for Ima's birth too. 
What's so unique about these two is that they were from the bankruptcy sale, 
and they both had very litle handling before we got them, but they still 
trusted us enough to allow - no, ask for - our presence.

I won't go so far as to tell people they SHOULD be with their mares when 
they deliver, but my goal is to dispel the myths that they won't allow you 
there.  Maybe they'd rather you not be there if you can't be quiet, calm and 
relaxed.  Maybe they'd rather you not be there if they haven't known you 
long, or if they've delivered many foals prior with no humans present. 
But, if you're calm, and if they trust you, there's at least a good chance 
they will appreciate your presence.

Karen Thomas, NC 

Reply via email to