> We have a pond on our new property--there's no fish.  Sometimes ducks and
> geese swim in it.  The water is green and murky.  Could I just go to
> Walmart,  buy some goldfish and put them in the pond?<

You could, but I wouldn't if the idea is to clean the pond.
Friends of ours had a BEAUTIFUL, springfed, swimming pond on their property.
They decided to introduce some koi and ornamental goldfish into it. . .
Well, it's not a beautiful swimming pond anymore.   The fish reproduced like
crazy and the water is always muddy/dirty looking now, even with the
addition of two fountains to try to aerate things.    Goldfish are dirty.
I am just amazed that people have found them helpful in keeping stocktanks
clean.   I think the algae eaters / catfish are what is REALLY cleaning the
tank, and the goldfish are getting the credit.

-- Renee M.