Thanks, but it's what it is for practicality, no other reason.  This is the
most practical
surface for us, although I'm sure it wouldn't be for everyone.  Here in the
south, sandy
arenas or harrowed dirt reflect the summer sun miserably, and grass is much
more pleasant
to ride on year round.  And if you get the sand too deep, it's hard on the
horse's
joints...if it's not deep enough, the surface may be too hard.  And, we'd have
to keep
adding sand as it worked into the dirt or blew away.  The grass roots seem to
keep the
dirt from compacting so hard, plus the grass itself provides a little
cushioning for the
horses.  The grass wouldn't hold up well for an arena for a boarding stable,
but with us
just using it a few times a week, it's ideal for us.  And since it's not used
as an arena
daily, it's a great part-time paddock too.  It's probably part of the reasons
that Thunder
looks so improved.  It's adjacent to his pasture, so instead of taking him back
to the
barn to give him his senior feed, we feed him from a bucket hung from the fence
and we
leave him in there alone for as long as he needs to finish his dinner.  Then he
stays on
that better quality grass for a few hours, sometimes overnight.  The older
horses can
often digest grass better than hay.   I'm REALLY glad now that we didn't spend
the
thousands to scrape the grass off and haul in many, many loads of sand.  It
turned  out
that the cheap way out was the best way for us.