>>> George mentioned that he made some treeless saddles in the past and that
>>> they did not
>>> work out so he bought them back.  I think that is in one of videos, but he
>>> might have
>>> said it off camera.  My impression is that he wants to protect the spinal
>>> process as
>>> much as possible with a wide channel, tree or not, and he was concerned
>>> about some of
>>> the Icelandic "pads" that he saw as bearing down too much along the spine.

Yes, some of the so-called "treeless saddles" really aren't anything but
glorified
bareback pads.

>>> He is very pragmatic and not fixed on only one approach.

That's great.  One thing you mentioned yesterday that I wanted to ask about.
You say that
George is convinced that men and women usually need different design
considerations to be
comfortable.  I TOTALLY agree about that with treed saddles, but since you
wrote that,
I've been thinking about it.   I wonder if that's as big a deal with treeless
saddles...?
With the treeless designs, particularly the better ones, the rider gets to sort
of mold
their own seat - or as Janice might say, "waller it out."  The reason I ask is
that my
medium-large-frame 6'2" husband and me (5'0" and very small framed) now ride in
the
Sensations and we both are very happy and comfortable.  Just curious now that I
think
about it.   I wonder how many men are regularly riding in Sensations on a
regular
basis...and of the ones who do, what are their sizes?  I would think that Cary
and I might
be about as extreme as you'd typically find in "riding anatomy"
considerations... He and I
have not agreed on all the treeless saddles we've tried, but I think the main
difference
is that he has a really bad hip, that affects how he has to position his legs,
and not so
much from a male-female difference.  I'm not sure though.

>>> But from people I have talked with, particularly in the Icelandic horse
>>> world, they
>>> really believe that various methods are needed in order to get the horse to
>>> perform.
>>> Why they need the horse to perform that way is another issue!

Oh, you've hit on something that my opinions are getting stronger on each year!
  I've
started several Icelandic's here now, and I've had several other just-started
ones...from
different lines.  And, of course, we use our own blend of gentle horsemanship
ways, some
sort of traditional, but many of a "natural" flavor.  I don't talk about blood
lines a lot
because I'm a big believer in evaluating the horse in front of you, not in what
MIGHT be
in the pedigree.    I hear about all the hot Icelandic's, but so far, I haven't
seen ONE
hot Icelandic in ours.  Of course, we start them just like we'd start any young
horse,
gaited, three-gaited, QH, Arab, Icelandic, whatever breed or gaitedness.  One
we recently
started is VERY closely related to a highly sought out show line, including the
current
world champion.   Started the same way we start any pleasure horse, she's no
more "fiery"
than any Icelandic we've seen, and equally sensible to the others we started.
So, I'd
guess I tend to agree with your Icelandic trainer sources - she would certainly
have need
"special" training to make her hot and fast.   This mare is built to rack/tolt,
and she
will, when she's ready, but I refuse to push her before she's strong, and
trained in the
basics of saddle-horse life.   So your last question is very key: WHY indeed do
they need
to perform that way for show...?  Maybe this topic deserves a separate thread!

>>> Sorry to be so tantalizing about footage that is not up yet, but I have
>>> hours and
>>> hours of material to edit.  Not all of it, of course, will deal with
>>> Icelandics, but
>>> it is all relevant. A lot of tough decisions so it does not become boring.
>>> I'm
>>> thinking of posting some alternative versions though for those who want to
>>> see paint
>>> dry.

Oh, please post them.  I am a big believer in the way that the "paint dries"
holds a lot
of secrets!    Yesterday, my husband was videoing me for what I hoped would be
an entry
for Judy's virtual natural show.  I turned around after the horse I was riding
did his
personal best ever turn-on-the-haunches and my husband wasn't videoing!  I was
livid.  His
answer: "But you're not doing anything."   That fundamental but not very
show-off-y
building block success was a big deal to me, and I think to that horse's future
as a
well-trained trail horse.   :)

Moral: some of us thrive on watching that paint dry... before someone smears it!