>>>I decided to take my soon to be 2 year old to the  young horse evaluations
>>>just to see
>>>what it was all about.  I could not  believe that he was just about the only
>>>young-
>>>horse (less than 4) that knew how  to lead, get on a horse trailer, tie,
>>>pick up his
>>>feet, etc.  ...  I was told that Stormur was too calm and did not  have
>>>enough lift to
>>>his feet.  I have played/worked since he was born to  desensitize him.  He
>>>does the
>>>Parelli  seven games and targets  well with a clicker to anything he is
>>>afraid of.  He
>>>would not run when  they tried to chase him (HaHa).

Well,  good for you.  "Too calm"...?  It's what I've seen with my horses.  I
haven't seen
a home-bred here yet that ISN'T calm - VERY calm.  I don't know anyone over 50
in my area
that doesn't want calm.   I wonder why NH has had such a boost in popularity in
the USA
(and the world) over the past 20 years?   I think it's because people WANT calm
horses.
People are spending boatloads of money to try to figure out how to make their
wild or
excitable horses calmer.   VERY few people go to Parelli clinics (or those of
other NH) to
make their calm horses into unhandled wild horses.  If you treat this breed
like you treat
other young riding horses of other breeds, they are the calmest breed I know.
That is
their strong suit, and we should be PROUD of it, not trying to make them into
something
they weren't born to be, just to satisfy some macho egos!

>>> The young  horses were herded from a pasture onto a trailer with great
>>> difficulty as
>>> the  young horse evaluations were in an indoor arena down the road.  The
>>> young  ones
>>> were falling getting on and off the trailer.   They were made to  load in
>>> and out the
>>> side door (which I always thought was a NO! NO!) In the  arena they were
>>> chased around
>>> to watch them move.  Several of them got lose  trying to get them back on
>>> the trailer
>>> and had to be chased to be caught.   I was appalled.  Of course most of
>>> these young
>>> horses had only been handled  once or twice ever.  I just can't see this
>>> makes any
>>> sense.

That IS appalling but sadly, not surprising.  I'd even call it barbaric.   They
just threw
all the young horses into one trailer, and owners didn't load their own horses
individually?  I can't imagine putting one of my babies into the "cattle car."
Remember
that old "turnip foal" passage in that book that Nancy Marie Brown wrote?   I
know I've
been reprimanded for witnessing my mare's births, but I KNOW it's what I should
do.  It
makes no sense to me to treat my horses like cattle headed for meat.   It's a
totally
different mindset than anything I care to be a part of.

>>>The positive comments were that he had a  lot of good natural tolt and trot.
>>> He showed
>>>all 5 gaits naturally and  they were all clear.  He just did not have enough
>>>"lift" to
>>>his  gaits.  They remarked that his conformation would be first prize.
>>>Strong broad
>>>back, good hooves, good joints, good tendons, nice withers, nice  shoulder
>>>and croup.
>>>He had a "coarse" head (whatever that means)

I didn't go to the evaluation, but I've seen enough in the videos I've watched
that I
believe you.   You can read the FEIF conformation guidelines, and even though
they are
vague, you can see that there's nothing in them of any substance to reward the
old-style,
strong Icelandic horses.   I don't see any reason to take my horses to be
evaluated - I
know how to evaluate soundness-related conformation, and there are sources in
my area that
I trust to give me unbiased assessments of the conformation of my horses -
people who
don't herd horses around like cattle!

BTW, I think Icelandic's generally DO have fairly coarse heads...and I've
learned to find
them beautiful.  It's what Icelandic's ARE, or at least what they have been in
the past.
Why shouldn't we amend our definition of beauty rather than try to change the
breed?  I'm
sure that Stormur's head is beautiful!   I find Arab heads odd looking now that
I've
morphed my standard of beauty.  :)

We don't ride heads.  We DO ride horses, and we hope they are strong - of mind
AND of
body!

>>> I did learn a lot about conformation and what they  perceive as good.  I do
>>> not
>>> believe that is what is best for me and my  horse.

Renee, he sounds very nice and it sounds like you've done a great job with him.
  Please
don't change what you're doing.  I suspect you'll want to keep Stormur for his
entire
life, but should the unexpected happen, you KNOW a horse like him would have a
choice of
good homes.  That thought gives me the confidence to do what I do with my young
ones.

Thanks for the report, Renee.