>> Depends on the foal. If it's a very friendly one, then probably not until
>> they leave
>> mum (unless they need one on for other reasons that "simply" training). I
>> tend to bring
>> the wilder ones in with their mums and get them used to it sooner.

And they don't leave mom until they are what...?  6-8 months or older?   But
why NOT put a
halter on the friendly ones much earlier - and the less friendly ones as soon
as you can
make them friendly?   Why not let them get used to such basics under
zero-stress
situations whenever it's possible?  If you wait until longer there's a real
chance they
will NEED one for some reason, and then that's likely to be very stressful.
Because if
they "need" a halter, that probably means they are in some sort of stress -
seriously ill
or injured, or something.   To me, that's the worst time to try to train a
horse to do
something, baby or adult.