V, I study my horses poop and pee as if they were the infant emperor
of china's haha.  If dry hard apples, not enough water.  i give loose
minerals that day, and maybe some soaked beetpulp or electrolytes.  If
too wet, they have had too much grass or something, but mine are never
like that and if they are, I give probios.  If pee is dark yellow they
need water, also if neck skin can be pinched and seems wrinkled, or if
flanks are hollow, dehydration.  I give wheat bran occasionally for a
meal to clean them out.  Some say thats not a good thing, but has
never been bad for me.  Someone told me once, whats in thursdays meal
is in saturdays gut.  So if going on a long hot ride sat I will feed
soaked beet pulp and an electrolyte thurs.  never an electrolyte or
loose minerals just before a ride, they will be too thirsty.
Janice--
even good horses have bad days sometimes.