>>> Trot to tolt - ask the hindquarters to move over a little  - and she
>>> stepped right into the tolt.

>>Functionally, why does this work?  What effect does it have on the
>>position of the horse's body and why does that cause him to move into
>>tolt?  I'm not being argumentative.  I just do better when I understand
>>the body mechanics involved.

The problem I see is that no method will work across the board for cuing
trot-to-tolt, or tolt-to-trot, or foxtrot-to-running walk.  Why?  It makes a
huge difference in what the horse is built to do.  You have to base your
actions on what the horse's conformation and wiring tendencies make him do.
I don't have to do anything to get Sina to "tolt" - although her "tolt" is
more likely to be either a saddle rack or stepping pace.  I have to DO
something to encourage her trot.  Some horses are the opposite - by default
they will trot.