>>Nanna is doing a running walk in this video, which is a four-beat
> gait that is square (versus the four-beat tolt which is lateral).
>
> Oh, nuts. And I now remember the bit about the footfalls.  What is the
> difference between the running walk and the tolt?
>
>>Tolt is a four-beat gait, but it's a lateral gait.
> What makes it a lateral gait (vs a "what" gait?)

Tolt is a one foot / two foot support gait, pretty fast, so let's compare
it's more reasonable version, saddle rack, to running walk.

Both saddle rack and running walk are even four-beat gaits.

Both saddle rack and running walk are two foot / three foot support.

The difference is that saddle rack is a lateral gait and running walk is a
square gait.

The difference lies in the pick up of the feet.  The set down is even in
both gaits, but in the running walk, the feet pick up evenly also; in the
saddle rack, the feet pick up with the timing more lateral.

It has to do with the ventroflexion... the sort-of-disconnection between
front and back which causes a delay in the timing in the saddle rack, versus
the running walk which is a neutral body frame.

Judy
http://iceryder.net
http://clickryder.com